Sunday, March 15, 2009

Craft Room Spring Cleaning

Well it isn't quite spring, but the time had come to deal with my mess. I am really really bad about "putting things away" when i work on a project. Or i assemble a bunch of supplies in tote bags to take with me to the school or a friend and never quite unpack.I want everything at my finger tips, but then it just gets tossed aside. Well, the clutter had reached critical mass. Bags and boxes of supplies were spilling out into the hallway. I could not step around the papers to reach my other papers without risking injury. So it was time.In the interest of full disclosure and in the hope of saving others from humiliation - here i am to lay bare all my crafting indiscretions.
But look - here is my craft room completely cleaned and restored to pristine beauty.
or is it?
Is that the top of my workspace? - with room to work?
YIKES. Did all the crap, i mean treasures, make it up off the floor of the craft room and get magically put away, by little elves?no - not by a long shot. Here are my the bags and boxes and bits and pieces now spread all over a king size bed. And on the floor too.
I spent about 8 hours yesterday sorting through everything and maybe, just maybe put away HALF OF IT. To be fair, i am being as organized as humanly possibly - with a place for everything - sorting magazines by title in holders. Separating stickers in categories like words, butterflies, flowers. Solid paper by colour, printed paper by theme. Tools and adhesives with a designated drawer. Canvases, boxes, yarn - all carefully sorted.
Eventually you get overwhelmed by the things with no clear desigation. Sure stamps by country, keys, playing cards. that's easy. But what to do with small pieces of paper? The seamingly endless array of doo dads that you just know will be perfect for an assemblage project. But what good is it if you cannot find it later? Saving every little piece of paper scrap means you must have a system to catalog it - so you know where it is!

stay tuned....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh , you are inspiring me to tackle my mess!! It sometimes looks like a paper bomb went off in my house...

Dianne said...

wow...you are actually doing what I should be doing! good luck with the rest of it--great job so far...maybe I will tackle mine soon...

~*~Patty S said...

WOW congrats on making so much progress! I just had to face the music and what a hornet's nest I stirred up...I feel your pain in fact I resemble so much of what you said :) Whilst I am going thru things I find SO many wonderful treasures giving me lots of ideas....round and round it goes! I had to take a day off cleaning, but the piles are waiting! Again kudos to you, it's inspiring to see!