Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Easter!

We had the perfect Easter dinner with friends yesterday. It was such a lovely day, we had cocktails and appetizers on the deck in the late afternoon sunshine. The button flowers did in fact look great in the bouquet of daffodiles. I generally am not so much into yellow flowers - but the daffodiles directed the colour pallet for the whole meal. I used a linen curtain panel as a table cloth, some vintage woven placements in yellow, some two tone damask napkins, all picked up at an estate sale. It was the perfect base for gold chargers and my simple white gold trimmed wedding china. Some asian motif rice bowls were the perfect compliment. I remember (like 20 years ago) thinking i would use my good china every Sunday. But just like mom - they only come out of the cabinet 4 times a year.

Our Easter menu was printed on my Kelly Rae Roberts type collage. I didn't make everything! My sister once said i only cook if i have an audience. Which is true! I do like to go all out at parties. Otherwise i'd be happy with whatever my husband is making. The devilled eggs, sweet potato pancakes and the lemon tart were all made by my friend Debra - the last using home made lemon curd from her own lemon tree. Ah, the delights of living in California.
The lemon tart was the perfect ending to the lovely meal. And the daffodiles with the button flowers were a big hit too.
Check out how they looked when most of the blossoms had opened by this afternoon! (one day too late)Sorry - not sure how to flip this phot - guess I have to to it back in my files since Blogger doesn't seem to have that option.

Continuing my obsession with all things birds, I wired some wee ones onto some cherry blossom branches, a la the latest issue of Martha. Click on the photo to see them up close. You can see my collection of domes in this picture - haven't fully figured out what to put in them.

No comments: