Sunday, November 14, 2010

Antique Amulets

 Today i had the pleasure of reconnecting with my old altered book workshop buddies in San Francisco.  We used to meet monthly, swap books and do a project or learn a new technique.  Today they were creating "antique amulets" based on class one of them took at Art Unraveled with polymer clay wiz Laurie Mika.
 I have only used polymer clay once before - so it was fun to learn something new!
 This was my first pendant.  I softened the black clay and rolled it to about 3/8th of an inch thick.  I stamped it with a gothic texture stamp and created a niche with the frame.  I added an image and some metal findings.  then it was baked for about 20 minutes in a toaster oven.  When it came out i added some metallic glazes and gold paint to highlight the raised areas.



 This was my last piece - you can see i had a little whtite clay left which i swirled with black to create this border.
Here are the original inspiration!  These were the samples created by Laurie Mika - not by me!  But i think i did a pretty good job emulating her style.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Absolutely stunning! love these...wonderful texture & subtle color.

dls said...

Lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love them. These especially turn out great if you can get your hands on lots of cool metal findings. The most difficult to find are the little metal frames. I like really Lauri's work,too.