Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cottage Crafting


While away at my sister's lake cottage last week, my niece Erica and I made some collage artwork. Not really sure what they are or what we will do with them, but we had fun and they turned out great.
I brought just a few supplies - my favorite papers, fibers and some vintage image copies. I had a few stickers and some doodads. Scissors, glue stick and some glue dots.
For the base we used folded promotional cards like this.
I got the idea from Pam Garrison who did something similar with a Smith and Hawken flyer.
The stiffer the substrate - the easier this is to do - but seriously - you could decorate a Targer flyer and still get good results!
I used a combination of tissue papers, wrapping paper and ephemera in a pale blue pallet for this one. I added a few ribbons for texture.
This is Erica's - she did all bright happy colours
Here is inside - you can see she used some thin mulberry paper in sections so that you can still
see the original images show through.
She cut two holes to insert a pink silk ribbon.
She chose her papers very carefully to create a patchwork effect.
I used decorative papers from Catherine Moore for this collage.
I added bits of napkins and some milinary leaves and lace to make them pop.
Her Histoire Naturelle cpapers have a lovely mix of ephemera like ledger paper backgrounds with all things birds.
I added a few aviary stamps and a vellum envelope as a pocket for a petite treasure.
Here are all three lined up together. Don't they look like fun!
Which one do you like best?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are all lovely in their own way, but I like the birds & ledger paper best...what fun!

Zenetta said...

They are each beautiful in their own way! I recognize the napkin. What a lovely setting for such lovely work with your lovely niece....great way to spend some vacation time.

Pretty Widow said...

Yes - the birds nest was from one of the napkins i stole from your house the last time you had us over for drinks!

(yes - you LET me steal them of course!! You knew full well it would make it into my art somehow!!)