Monday, May 25, 2009

enough pink already!


ok - you'll only get that if you read the last three posts in reverse order. If you are just joining me - scroll down and get the evolution of my journey, and then come back.

For the last 5 or 6 years i have hosted a monthly altered book swap and workshop in the san francisco bay area.  I had to say good bye in march to move to los angeles to start a new job.  I completed a few spreads in carol's roman and greek book, and mailed it off without really getting a chance for a final gathering.

well, fast forward to now.  The three devoted members of the altered book group want to keep things going.  I will still be very much a part of the group - albeit "virtually".  they'll take turns teaching a technique or leading a project, will take lots of pictures and send them to me!  I will get to create a new altered book to swap via mail.

I picked this old book up at an antique store recently and i thought this book, Beyond Anxiety, would make a great "edgy" altered book.  The religious overtones aside, the chapters are all about fear, guilt, frustration, loneliness and despair.  All the wonderful feelings i have daily alone in a strange city.
yeah, seriously.  Los angeles can be a very scary place.  Not like violence scary, i stay away from those places.  I am talking about the freeways.  i am terrified of the freeways.   people drive like maniacs and have apparently never heard about the NOT passing on the right rule.  If i time it right, i can get stuck in horrible traffic, where i only have to deal with rude people who refuse to merge.  at least i don't fear being crushed by a huge truck, or sideswiped by a killer suv.
There, i said it.  I am a wuss.  I hate hate driving here.  I am from a big city - but nothing prepares you for LA. 

Ok  - i have been here almost two months.  I am getting the hang of it.  
But i am still scared.
what are you afraid of?

No comments: