Monday, March 2, 2009

Mixed Media Monday: Time Flies

For this week's mixed media monday challenge, the theme is Time. I created a simple collage using the cover of an anthropologie catalog that i just loved, of a european spiral staircase.

I layered it onto some brown paisley print paper and some clock print paper to frame it. It is 12" by 12" and my scanning bed is about 8 1/2 by 11 1/2", so some of it is cut off. It is my dream to have a printer with a HUGE scanning bed - one that will scan altered book spreads.
Anyway, i know that my stack of mail order catalogs are good for something, seeing as how i am not actually ORDERING anything out of them these days. Ballard is great for clocks. I cut out these 4 and glued them into the staircase. The numbers came from receipts stubs. In the center is the dictionary explanation for heure - as in "quelle heure est il?" meaning "what time is it" in french. I wanted to use horloge, french for clock - but apparently i already tore that page out of my vintage illustrated french dictionary....
Finally, to make time "fly", i added some rub on butterflies. Very subtle. lord knows i have dozens of in-your-face butterfly images and stickers i could have used. But for today, subtle seemed to fit.
Please check out the mixed media monday blog and check the comments section to link to other artists time themed work.

9 comments:

Diane said...

Absolutely beautiful and intriguing collage, Diane! Diane

~*~Patty S said...

great collage, time sure does fly!

Lynn Stevens said...

great collage. I simply adore your beeswax pieces

Femmy said...

great collage!!

Anonymous said...

Great collage

Ozstuff said...

What a scrumptious collage. Your blog is beautiful and I am very happy that I found it!!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Time moves way to fast!

Janny said...

Lovely!

Julie said...

Lovely work Diane...