Friday, March 6, 2009

Estate sales = gotta love'em

Went to another estate sale today. If you are in the area, get yourself on the Marin Estate Liquidators mailing list. this sale was a classic, 75+ yr old lady's house, filled to the brim with goodies. I had to hold back.

Shown here are my treats. Two sheets from a photo album that i found under a chair. Lucky me! If they had the whole album, i'm sure it would have been expensive. just two sheets were cheap!
I also picked up a book of haiku poetry with woodblock illustrations, and another falling apart, beautifully aged and yellowed poetry book. Then for fun a few novelty items: a game called Jack Straws that i never heard of, but has cute little items that would work well in collage. A set of round tarot type cards with bad illustrations, but that could be turned into something cool, and a set of nice wine charms. Finally a pretty white lidded porcelain thing - with sculpted flowers on top. I sort of have a collection of white objects - so i thought i'd add it to the pile. Here is my shelf of altered books. You can see some of my white stuff used to prop open the books.I bought a couple of things not pictured - a wooden pizza peel - you know, the thing to slide a pizza onto the stone in the oven, and to get it out again. And i replaced the middle size corning ware casserole that i broke years ago, after receiving the set as a wedding shower gift. I have the very 80's set with the lavender lilies on the side. You just never know what you are going to find!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I saw your photo and realized that I had a box of that Jack Straws game as a kid. I don't remember the name or the game but I recognize the little game pieces. thanks for the memory!

Seth said...

Great collection of altered books!

Dianne said...

Love your display of altered books...I too have white things, mostly hobnail milk glass...never thought to display them with my AB's. and what great finds at the sale. thanks for sharing.
Dianne